Sunday, June 22, 2008

Take your daughters to work day #2

Perhaps not as convinced as they should be that my work is interminably boring even to those of us who do it. the girls accompanied me to work once more yesterday.

Aunt Jennifer was ready for them and provided tiara and scepter so they could be princesses for the day. Not the sort of thing butch daddies like myself (cough) ever think of. But they had "girl time" with some coworkers.

Here they are with Aunt Jennifer in the boss's office (human faces omitted to reduce the expense of model's fees).

Raised eyebrows at that comment. No, girls, this is a family production and we don't pay each other within the family. Remember, the New Orleans adventure is about keeping a roof over all our heads, not spending daddy's money.

Leur Altesses Royales Princesse Belle de Nouvelle Orléans at Princesse Margaret de Nôtre Dame Reine des Anges enjoying their perch in Aunt Jennifer and Aunt Sandi's office. (Yes, Maggie joined the family in greater Los Angeles.)

After work we caught some more architectural details. The other day I shot the Cotton Exchange building from across the intersection. Here it is closer up. My friend Kathy e-mailed me after the previous post saying, "I loved the photos of the "Cotton Exchange" - such incredible architecture! Bastions of conservatism and power..."

Her comment led me to think not only of the conservatism and power but the immense suffering on which immense wealth was built. Some things have not changed much in this wicked world.

Here's the plaque telling us it was built in 1920-1921. Below you will see details of the scrollwork framing the doorway, including stylized oak leaves and acorns. I find the scrollwork incredibly lovely.


Another pavement marker of an old homestead, not that many steps away from where I photographed the Pelican Homestead marker. Mimi informed us that this is what they used to call the Savings and Loan establishments.

This sign strikes me as a bit incongruous yet encouraging. The girls and I were walking down the street with two coworkers from New York City. They were fantasizing getting nice bagels in the morning. Alas, this is one of the business that is boarded up and has not reopened.

Here we have another one of those intricate metalwork door frames. And yes, I knocked on the ones at the old Hibernia National Bank building and it felt and sounded like cast iron.

A while back I snapped one of the panels in this series. Here are two more.

They are found in the windows of the Baronne Plaza Hotel with its art deco style.

After a busy day at the office, the girls and I relaxed and caught up with the Friday evening production of Mr. Red Peanut Bank and Gallito Mescalito's stunning GAFCON: the Musical. What a perfect end to a long week!

In spite of Sazerac tasting, Maggie wants y'all to know that she is not responsible for the lowered level in Daddy's rum bottle. Belle chimes in that she didn't get into it either. This leaves only one possible culprit and he is thinking that, it now being a pook after five o'clock in the afternoon, it is time to lower the level a bit further.

And that's the news from River Ridge today. Pray for those recovering from floods, tornadoes, cyclones, earthquakes, and the like. I'm waiting anxiously to see how high the floodwaters in the Mississippi will be when they get downstream to here.

--the BB

7 comments:

Padre Mickey said...

Saludos a las chicas desde los amigos en Panamá.
Great photos, and what lovely princesses.

Paul said...

Mis hijas les mandan besitos desde Nueva Orleans, al Padrecito, a la bella Mona y a los demás del Dance Party.

Need I add that my daughters are great fans of the Panamanian crew?

Earthbound Spirit said...

Love the tiara & scepter, Paul. The aunties really took care of your girls. Thanks for sharing their adventures & your photos. The floodwaters have receded here & I'm hoping they won't have a terrible effect on NOLA when they reach it. (My dh & one daughter spent time there last summer with our church youth group on a volunteer work crew.) Blessings to you & the girls.

Paul said...

Thanks, Earthbound. The girls blow kisses back at you.

June Butler said...

Paul, what a wonderful post. I have walked past the Hibernia Bank building more times than I can count without noticing the lovely scrollwork. My friend worked there many, many years ago.

Your girls look beautiful in their royal trappings.

My grandmother often made trips to "the homestead", but she never said which one, but I know that it was in the CBD - which it was not called way back then.

Jane R said...

Qu'elles sont belles, tes filles!

De vraies princesses!

Fran said...

I am left here filled with so much gratitude for this post.

They are the cutest! And so much fun!!

Yesterday I heard a story on NPR that said that all the 1930's era levees had held during Katrina, the ones built after the awful 1927 flood.

The ones that failed were built during the Reagan era.

I look at your photos of this gorgeous city and my heart breaks.

I do know know about these floods and levees but I do know I am praying for all who are impacted.

God have mercy.