Saturday, June 28, 2008

Shamelessly stolen

And on the Lord's Day, too! And me a priest.

Via Margaret's blog, "Leave It Lay Where Jesus Flang It," we have Mina Mazzini, Italian pop singer, delivering a powerful version of "Nada te turbe" [from the bookmark of Santa Teresa de Jesus, aka Teresa de Ávila].



Nada te turbe
Nada te espante
Quien a Dios tiene nada le falta
Solo Dios basta
Todo se pasa
Dios no se muda
La paciencia todo lo alcanza

Let nothing disturb you,
nothing afright you.
Whom God possesses
in nothing is wanting.
Alone God suffices.
All things are passing.
God never ceases.
Patient endurance attains all things.

I love this conclusion to Margaret's current most recent post:
Earlier this week I stated that I was striving to get a good mantra deep into my soul --'let nothing disturb you' --and 'all shall be well' and let it be my method of being. Feh! Now I am ready to go radical... step outside the system.... go wild....

I'll let you know how it goes.
Margaret, thank you for commenting at Mimi's place so I and others might get to know you better.

¡Santa Teresa, ruega por nosotros!

--the BB

8 comments:

it's margaret said...

Hi Paul,

Glad you liked the St. Teresa. It really fit the bill for me too.

And hey --as to going "wild" --well, I didn't climb the ladder-stairs to our wine-glass pulpit, and I preached extemporaneously from the chancel stairs.... a bit wild for our more formal liturgical style with bells and all!

Glad to find your site.
many blessings.

Fran said...

We love her, don't we? Wow!

Fran said...

I meant Margaret, but it is true for Teresa too!

Paul said...

Welcome, Margaret. Glad we could meet the way bloggers usually do, through shared friends.

A wine-glass pulpit - oh my. I can imagine it. Seems quite precarious for large ursine chaps like myself.

I love me some smells and bells but I don't care for pompous or pedantic. Sounds as though you are aiming for the right combination: elegant liturgy with a real, connecting warmth.

Blessings to you too.

Paul said...

Yes, Fran. Margaret is someone I took an instant liking too. How could I not when she has a blot title like that?

it's margaret said...

Well--I hope we avoid the pompous and pedantic.... and the fussy. Fortunately, I have a great Verger, so I can let go and not worry. And I aim for joy more than elegance...at least, well, I hope you know what I mean!

I am really pleased to get to know you here, too! I moved to Richmond from the desert almost 3 years ago. Palm Desert, CA. I was serving at St. Margaret's, Palm Desert. Miss some things about the desert, but really happy in Richmond, VA. It is lush and exotic after our desert time.

blessings friends!

Paul said...

Ah, joy! My chief test for our openness to the Spirit. With that in mind I think we cannot go far astray.

Palm Desert to Richmond - what a shift in environment! Parishioners who spent time in Palm Desert would bring me bulletins from St Margaret's on their return - back when I was an interim. Golly, that was long ago, yet it doesn't seem so.

Jane R said...

Loved discovering Margaret via Mimi, too! Margaret, sounds like you arrived in the Bay Area right around the time I left. We'll meet IRL some day I'm sure.