Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"Proud Christian Republicans"


I received the following on a listserv today and will preserve the anonymity of the writer.

Yesterday I took the time to do early voting. ...

There was a line, and immediately behind me was a Hispanic gentleman in his 50s and an Anglo couple probably in their early 60s. The hispanic guy was quite pleasantly animated and spoke of his excitement because Hilliary was coming to El Paso the next day. The Anglo woman then said, "Maybe someone will assassinate her finally." "We", she proclaimed, "are proud, Christian
Republicans and under no circumstances could we vote for the nig, ugh, black man for president of this great nation."

I was rendered quite speachless, and took quite a while to regain my composure. She went on to proclaim how much she didn't trust compter voting becuase it was too easy to cheat and not record her "right" vote.

By that time I was ready to say something but my time was up to vote.

Goodness! I know there is a lot of fear abroad these days, but that kind of invective and hate and fear I have not encountered in quite a while. I pray not to hear and witness it again ever.

Pax,
Racism is alive and well and has long been at the core of Republican strategy.

That sort of "proud" needs Jesus' own backhand, if you ask me, which you didn't.
--the BB

2 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

I have a story and some thoughts about that, but I can't make them on my blog.

Paul said...

I understand, Diane. I am grateful for blogs with higher tone than mine. You are, of course, welcome to come slumming here anytime.

i hope the ugliness of this election has not worn you down and that you are staying centered and focused on the abounding grace all around.