Saturday, October 25, 2008

Unanticipated day off

I got to work this morning and there was a pervasive odor of natural gas (well, the odorant they put in it to warn people) in the lobby and elevator shafts, though not in our office itself. Coworkers had alerted security, security called a building engineer, and he said that it is "nothing" and coming from the outside, though he could not smell it.

Not reassuring.

Especially since the tone of voice with which he said all this indicated that he really did not have a clue and was just trying to reassure us with BS. He had not had enough time to know this was true. Obviously I did not believe him.

If they had evacuated the building just to be on the safe side and begun a thorough investigation to determine the source of the gas, I might have stuck around in order to work with a slight delay.

What seems to me a combination of callous indifference, ignorance, and incompetence led to my decision not to work where I would breathe those fumes and be liable to a serious incident. I left a note to my lead person and came back to the apartment.

My health is not worth that risk. I am also rather upset with the lackadaisical attitude of the weekend staff of the building.

Anyway, I will go in on Sunday instead (grrrrr) and today I think I will work on my novel.
--the BB

No comments: