Saturday, June 20, 2009

A dinner outing


Conejo

There was a bunny on the way to my friend's house.


And fresh new penstemon blooming in his yard.


We had a lovely bottle of wine (thank you Steve!) to go with Dijon-slathered grilled chicken garnished with a chiffonade of basil that I had just plucked from his garden and spinach, also freshly harvested, sautéed with garlic.

We then went over to his dad's apartment for an early Father's Day visit. Jack (Dad) used to read a lot and listens to classical and jazz music but lately he has been tending some house plants, so instead of books or CDs we both took him potted plants to keep him off the streets and out of trouble.

Playing with the new camera, I took this detail shot of a painting acquired years ago on an adventure in Puerto Vallarta. It is a modern painting in the style of colonial Mexico. I love the detail of the hair in this painting, and the flow of her robes and sweet face.

Lots of detail flower shots in the garden. Later, and probably on FB.

Off to a church meeting on the other end of town!

--the BB

8 comments:

The Cunning Runt said...

The meal sounds absolutely wonderful, and your photographs are lovely as well. Thanks for sharing them!

Paul said...

Thanks, TCR. Chez Bill has been my favorite place to eat for three decades and counting!

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

What TCR said!

johnieb said...

If this rain ever stops, we may yet have a growing season, and I'll have to re-learn to use my camera/internet connection.

Sounds like a good time:
good food, good wine, and good company.

Paul said...

It was all of those, johnieb. I look forward to seeing photos and words on food and life from you again!

johnieb said...

Oops: forgot something. TCR, do you know any reliable mushroom hunters in the area? A quick innertubes search revealed a beer-drinkers society in Great Barrington, but little else.

susankay said...

Paul -- Just to tell you that our Integrity Four Corners Eucharist had 14 communicants plus priest. All from Colorado but I had e-mailed link to your posting and all were impressed.

Also -- the Chalone wine picture reminds me of a day my love and I hiked "The Pinnacles" pictured on their label and then lucked into a tasting at their winery. A charming idea, we thought, was that one could buy stock in the winery and ones dividends were bottles of wine.

Be well.

Paul said...

Susankay, I am so glad the Integrity Eucharist went well. May they thrive!

Thanks for the Chalone story. Bill used to work for the Chalone Wine Group and we went down there once for an employee BBQ, so I remember the Pinnacles also. I also got to help out for one of their stockholders meetings, which are huge catered affairs. Been there, done that, and literally got the T-shirt.

It was fun getting bottles of wine for 50% of retail, and they had many labels from up and down the Pacific coast.