Tuesday, September 22, 2009

I say give Canaan back to the Canaanites.


Obama drops demand that Israel freeze settlements
CNN - Elise Labott - ‎1 hour ago‎
NEW YORK (CNN) -- Prodding Israel and the Palestinian Authority to restart talks aimed at a permanent resolution of their decades-old conflict, President Obama dropped a demand for an Israeli settlement freeze, US, Israeli and Palestinian officials ...

Obama Urges Compromise as Settlements Stymie Mideast Talks Push
Bloomberg

There is no excuse and no justification for the settlements. I'd use our economic clout by cutting off every damn shekel until the expansion of settlements stops. Then the Israeli government could make their choice. Settlements or US aid? Otherwise we are supporting an injustice that will fester and undermine everything.

That does not mean I accept or condone attacks on Israeli citizens. I don't. No attacks on innocents is acceptable, no matter who commits them, including the United States. But then Palestine is not noted as one of our global allies; Israel putatively is. What I say about the settlments means I condemn the settlements and nothing more.

* The headline is witticism. I am quite serious about the rest.
--the BB

4 comments:

June Butler said...

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.


The left is done, finished, is no more.

To think I was once a moderate. Did I move, or did the ground shift under me?

Diane M. Roth said...

well, what I have been hearing is: Obama can talk all he wants, but Israeli leadership doesn't give a fig. Knowing that, he's be better to hold on to some principals.

Paul said...

True, they don't give a fig. And Congress is terrified of upsetting AIPAC.

June Butler said...

AIPAC rules! Terrified is the right word.