Monday, September 21, 2009

The world is too much with us


I am getting frustrated and cranky. I need to take charge of my own life again and take off my crankypants.

Just put these up at facebook:
Paul has less and less ability to play extravert. Wayyyyy too much people time this weekend.

and
Years ago I ran across a saying that I carried in my wallet for decades. Needed to remember it at work today. "Being mad at stupid people doesn't make them bright."


I kept my cool on the phone but a string of muttered obscenities followed when the phone was hung up. I took a break and stretched my legs, stretched muscles, took some deep breaths.

My usual mode is rather patient with people, meeting them where they are. But not always. Endless repetitions of something one has just told me and I have noted do not endear the speaker to me. Rambling halfway around the globe when I am trying to get some focus on what the issue is and how to resolve it efficiently, effectively, and amicably gets on my nerves. I just wanted to scream STFU. And when the phone was cradled I did say it loud enough for the people nearest to me to hear (but not their callers). I realize part of my job is to let people vent. With isolated instances I can usually handle it. This was a frequent caller who drives us all up the wall.

My last vacation larger than a long weekend was a year ago. The next planned one is five months away. I think I need one.

8 comments:

June Butler said...

Paul, why not take time off? You sound as if you really need R&R, luv.

Paul said...

Mostly I think I need to say NO more often. My job is strict 40/wk and I do leave it behind at the end of the day. Need to be careful with myself this coming weekend which is booked from after work on Friday through Sunday noon. My fault, of course. Then again, I may play hooky from church next Sunday. I do love Sundays off.

it's margaret said...

Take an extra day soon. And, G'wan, skip church. It's okay every now and then....

Paul said...

I was seriously thinking about skipping church this Sunday. However, St Mike and All Angels, the Mission of San Gabriel... It's our patronal feast this coming Sunday. (I'd really rather stay home and listen to Ethel Merman sing "Blow, Gabriel, blow" but I think it could be deemed a major slight since I'm now half the mission's presbyterate. I think a Sunday off is very near, though.

susan s. said...

--Great God! I'd rather be
A Pagan suckled in a creed outworn;
So might I, standing on this pleasant lea,
Have glimpses that would make me less forlorn;
Have sight of Proteus rising from the sea;
Or hear old Triton blow his wreathed horn.

Yes I did have to look it up, but I did remember Wordsworth.

Paul said...

Muy impresionante, Susanita.

susankay said...

Paul -- There is always a cabin in Colorado about 4 hours away that has a spare bedroom. Also an amazing dog. Me too.

Paul said...

Susankay, thank you so much. I need to remember things like this.

Everybody, I am feeling better this evening. A few nights at home alone, FINALLY finishing another chapter, feeling the cool of autumn come on. Thanks for the love and kind thoughts.