Sunday, September 06, 2009

My letter to the President



Here is my letter today.
Dear Mr. President:

You have seen the reprehensible response you get from the GOP when trying for bipartisanship on health care. Now it is time to do the right thing, whether they choose to get on board or not (and they won't).

Please take a strong, consistent, vocal, public stance (this coming Tuesday and going forward) in support of a vigorous public option in health care. It is not just one element in reform; without it most other steps will be baby steps that do not go far enough. There will be no real motivation for insurance companies not to gouge the public while sacrificing its health to their profits.

I cannot state this strongly enough. I am a Democrat who was proud to support your election. If we fail on this I will be a Democrat wondering why he even bothers with such a spineless party. At the moment the only segment of our party I wholeheartedly admire is the Progressive Caucus. Please listen to them.

Thank you.
I sent it through this White House link where comments are invited.

Jane R and others are encouraging us to do something daily for health care and designated this as "Today is write-the-President-about-health-care-reform day." Mimi's post reminded me to do my duty. I love the way we encourage one another to be active, engaged citizens. This is democracy at its finest.

This may be my third or fourth letter to the President since his inauguration. It is more polite than the last one.

So, write already.


--the BB

3 comments:

June Butler said...

Oh, Paul, I forgot to copy mine. I like the way Josh Marshall simplifies things.

would you like the option — the voluntary option — of buying into Medicare before you're 65?

If you don't want the government messing with your health care, then don't buy in.

Paul said...

Obama should fire Rahm and hire Marshall. Well, IMNSHO anyway.

June Butler said...

I knew Rahm wasn't going to be good for the likes of us. Shit! I could chew nails right now. Why must we beg for decent health care reform from a Democratic president?