Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The World of Books

I grew up near the intersection of Fresno Street and Belmont Avenue in Fresno, California. We lived about one mile from downtown, where the Fresno County Free Library (now called the Fresno County Public Library) main branch was located, along with the old Courthouse and City Hall. My mother would take me to the library to check out books, and I read avidly. Father had taught me to read when I was only three, using my alphabet blocks and showing me how to sound things out phonetically. (It was all too long ago for me to recall how I overcame the challenge of non-phonetic orthography.)

I know that comic books were a mainstay, and I read every word, including the fine print in ads and the legal and copyright notices. Needless to say, I checked out and devoured many books. As time went by I became old enough to go to the library on my own. The old library was replaced with the current brick-faced one and near the entrance I encountered the most magnificent mural I had seen. It was a fired-enamel mosaic illustrating the branches of human knowledge arranged according to the Dewey Decimal System. The colors were brilliant and the symbolism fascinating. It remains one of my fond memories and recently, when I inquired whether any digital photos of it were on hand, librarian Roberta Barton took a photo and sent it to me. You can see it below.

I want to thank Roberta and all the librarians of my life, including my dear friends Cathy Gordon, Jim O'Donnell, Amber Sturgess, and Genevieve Kelly of blessed memory.

The BB

No comments: