Sunday, June 17, 2007

A Son of the Soil (in spite of myself)

I spent a lot of time in my back yard last week, tending to my garden.

When I moved to Albuquerque I realized afresh how large my back yard seemed. Maybe 50 by 40 feet of sand mixed with fine adobe clay. Except for the tumbleweeds that spring up with great vigor, it was rather barren.

Bill inspired me to plant some fruit trees. I followed this endeavor with roses, mostly bare root, and on Maundy Thursday I became so bold as to plant tomatoes, foolishly assuming I was past frost danger. Two days later it snowed. The tomatoes, however, survived.

Here is where things stood:
The lush little border on the right is a patch thickly planted with rosemary, lavender, and dark purple petunias. Basil and chives are tucked in there too. The green against the back wall is a Piñata rose that blooms in multiple shades of red, yellow, and deep orange. Two peach saplings (Red Haven in the foreground and Elberta behind it), the tomatoes and Anaheim peppers near the north wall, then a climbing yellow rose between the vegies and the herbs.

Other bare root roses curved around a Methley plum and I planted small beds between the roses, filling them with gazanias, dwarf marigolds, and alyssum. Here is a later view from a different angle, still aiming at the NW corner.
After last weeks efforts, here is a close-up of the NW corner. You can see blooms on the Piñata rose, lush tomato plants, and in between a flame seedless grapevine. Along the wall to the left are lavenders and coral roses. In the center foreground is a row with various peppers and deep red petunias that were just planted. Three kinds of squash have also gone in and three other rows of vegetables and herbs (mostly more peppers and an eggplant). Along the south wall is a border of sixteen plants, about five types all with blue to purple flowers.
And, though one expects no fruit in the first year and precious little until year 3 to 5, I do have four peaches. Here is the largest, currently the size of a small apricot.
I came to two realizations yesterday. (1) Although I could never be considered anything but a "city boy," there is nonetheless something of the San Joaquin Valley soil in me that cries out for growing things in the desert. As aloof as I may have been from my relatives who farmed, this yard project has me quite excited. (2) Looking at what I have been doing in what seemed a rather haphazard manner, it is evident that I have subconsciously been trying to recreate something of the look and feel of a home garden in or near the Berkeley hills: a bit of the East Bay in Albuquerque.

Well, there's nothing wrong with either of those two things. I love the landscape of New Mexico, its sparse and harsh beauty, the vast expanse of sky. I also love my little patch of flowers, fruit trees, vegetables, and herbs.

Thanks be to God for all growing things.