Friday, August 17, 2007

Ploshchad Iskusstv (Arts Square) - 2

The Mussorgsky Theatre (history here and here)
Looking toward the Russian Museum from across Arts Square
Can one do a city square without a glimpse of feeding pigeons?
The most admired Russian writer, the poet Aleksandr Sergeyevich Pushkin (1799-1837). You may find his poems online here and here. This photo was long my desktop pic.

I admit being lazy here, but this is the first poem on one link from the site you can find by clicking on his middle name above. It seemed to fit the mood of the bare trees and cloudy day in the photos. Enjoy!
1821


I have outlasted all desire,
My dreams and I have grown apart;
My grief alone is left entire,
The gleanings of an empty heart.
The storms of ruthless dispensation
Have struck my flowery garland numb-
I live in lonely desolation
And wonder when my end will come.
Thus on a naked tree-limb, blasted
By tardy winter's whistling chill,
A single leaf which has outlasted
Its season will be trembling still.


--the BB

No comments: