Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Prince of Denmark

Crown Princess Mary and Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark with their daughter Princess Isabella

(File photo--Reuters: Morris Mac Matzen) via ABC News

No, not the dishy crown prince (pictured above with his lovely wife and daughter). The Shakespearean one: Hamlet.

I was watching the first hour of Kenneth Branagh's production of Hamlet this evening. When Horatio speaks of portents surrounding Julius Caesar's death (Act I, Scene i, lines 112ff.), he notes:
In the most high and palmy state of Rome,
A little ere the mightiest Julius fell,
The graves stood tenantless and the sheeted dead
Did squeak and gibber in the Roman streets....


Deliciously put. Well, this is no lofty post. I only thought, "What a wonderful title for a blog!" So, if I were starting one tonight, it would be titled "Squeak and Gibber." (I'm not going to do the research to see if such already exists; I couldn't bear the disappointment.)

[The gratuitous prince blogging is for those who prefer something other than the antics of cats in their online visuals.]
--the BB

2 comments:

johnieb said...

I am tempted to steal this most excellent idea, but, by the time I will have acted on it, it will already be taken.

Paul said...

Be my guest and good luck with it. You don't have one of your own yet, do you, johnieb? Come on in, the water's fine.
(Well, under Bush it's probably polluted, but join the fun anyway.)