Thursday, November 15, 2007

Friday Prince Blogging

Their Royal Highnesses
The Greek Flag

Wedding Day in London

Felipe, Príncipe de Asturias, holding the wedding crown
(I couldn't resist sneaking him back in)
Royal Greek Arms
The motto: "My strength is the love of the people"
Very biblical words so if you have read the NT in Greek, you can decipher this.
Arms by Arnaud Buriel through Creative Commons (Wikipedia)

Their Royal Highnesses Prince and Princess Pavlos of Greece

"At a friend's 40th birthday party in New Orleans" is where Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece met his future wife Marie-Chantal. She is now known as Her Royal Highness Princess Pavlos of Greece. Their children are HRH Princess Maria-Olympia and HRH Prince Constantine Alexios. (source)

Crown Prince Pavlos was born 20 May 1967, the eldest son of Constantine II, former King of the Hellenes. Since the monarchy in Greece was abolished in 1947, his chances of ever becoming King of Greece are slim to none, though he is still known by his titles. I was thinking rather favorably of this man with whom I share a name until I read that he has worked in investment consulting. Oh well. I work as an accountant, so I can't be too judgmental. Evidently we both have our boring sides. (source)

Pavlos is from the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg but they sensibly use "de Grecia" for a reasonable surname. Charles, Prince of Wales, is one of his godparents.

More photos and an interview here.
--the BB

2 comments:

June Butler said...

Imagine! They met at a birthday party in New Orleans! How very fitting. Lots of lovely people meet lots of other lovely people in New Orleans. It's my home town, you know, and it's still the home of my heart.

Paul said...

It is a lovely city (and grievous to see its current state and the gross national neglect of it) and I can well imagine meeting wonderful people there. I enjoy the memory of the St Charles line and walking about Audubon Park. Didn't meet any princes while I was there though.