Wednesday, November 28, 2007

get your groove going with the giblet gravy

Paul Cezanne, pommes et oranges
Eileen tipped me to Mary Sue's list (via Elastic Waist) of "Top Ten Comebacks for Well-Meaning but Obnoxious Relatives." We all have some relative or friend who will open mouth and insert foot making a gratuitous comment about eating over the holidays.

Why do people assume that OUR bodies are THEIR business? I find it irritating as a male. The womb-enabled half of the population gets this odious projection compounded by people, usually old men, who want to tell them what to do with their bodies as though being able to bear a child makes you someone else's property. WTF?

If you haven't read the list yet, head on over and enjoy. It starts like this:
Oooh, do you really think you need another biscuit? “I don’t need it. I WANT it.”

I rather think this should be said with a face that implies that the offending party, in the interest of continuing to draw breath on this planet, would do well not to come between that biscuit and oneself. Give them an inch....

[I borrowed the title line from the intro to the list.]
--the BB

5 comments:

johnieb said...

If the look is not enough, I think well of a fork in the back of their hand; however, I am working on this, and hope to get better.

Kirstin said...

I don't get those comments, ever, and I'm overweight now from 2 1/2 years of dorm food. (People tell me I've lost weight/look healthier, when I've spent any time at the Ranch.)

What drives me insane, is healthy-looking women saying they're fat. Um, no. You're not. You're beautiful. Start loving yourself.

(I don't say that last sentence out loud, usually, but I think it.)

Anonymous said...

Tell 'em Paul!

It's our Holiday, and We'll Eat if We want To! Eat if We want to....

Paul said...

Love the musical interlude, Eileen!

If thoughts could kill, Kirstin. (I'd be surrounded by corpses sometimes.)

I have not used the fork to the hand treatment often enough in life. Thanks for reminding me Johnieb.

LOL, I guess I'm still giving thanks for not having to be nice all the time. Hooray! Put another way: I used to be nice. I'm better now.

Kirstin said...

Better aim, JohnieB?