Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Ya son treinta y uno


And, since Fran was thinking of a series of countries beginning with "I," Indonesia was one that she named, so kudos to Fran.

[Bonus trivia item: Did y'all know that "kudos" is a singular Greek word, not a plural? Rhymes with "hoss" not with "doze." So, next time, remember that it takes a singular verb, just as media requires a plural verb form. This moment of pedantry was brought to you by my sensitive ears. We now return to our regular program.]

Welcome, friends, from across the Pacific and from the other end of the Americas. Nice to have you here.

The Argentine flag is another that I have in my physical collection, along with Chile, both countries that my ex visited on business trips. Nor can I forget Monica the Spanish tutor who was from Argentina.

Selamat! I am honored also to have a visit from Indonesia. As the internet links folks from all around the globe I pray that people may connect in friendship and dialogue, fostering the vision of Dr. King (see below) so that all peoples may live together in peace and justice, working together for the good of all.
--the BB

4 comments:

Fran said...

Whoo Hoo! Two fine additions. I had had Argentina before, but I got one yesterday and was wondering if you had one too.

This is fun Paul! You are making me enjoy my flags more.

And like you, the desire for community and connection through this kind of thing is so important.

That is a beautiful thing.

Kirstin said...

Is "selamat" related to "salaam"? It doesn't make sense, really, that it would be, but the similarity makes me curious.

Paul said...

Not speaking a word of Indonesian, I have no knowledge, really, but suspect that it must. In such a large predominantly Muslim country the standard Muslim greeting based in Arabic would most likely be incorporated into the language.

I rely on online translation sites for anything outside the range of languages I am familiar with and thus take the risk of saying "the tiger ate your mother" when I meant to say "welcome" or "greetings."

Kirstin said...

ROFL!

Rarrrrrrr.