Sunday, July 27, 2008

An afternoon at the movies

Today I got out of the house and headed to Canal Place where there are all manner of shops (Saks, Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn, etc. - feels the yuppie parts of California or the new Uptown in ABQ). There I saw The Dark Knight, the latest installment of the Batman franchise.

"The [k]night is always darkest before the dawn" proclaims District Attorney Harvey Dent in the movie. Well, as usual, Batman is dark and it is not an easy view of society.

Heath Ledger does a brilliant turn as the Joker - much better than Nicholson's over-the-top rendition. But then my own bias is that Nicholson is usually over the top in a manner I don't care for. This is less cartoonish and far more nightmarish.

Kudos also to the make-up and effect people who do the Two-Face work.

I have had pix here of the Cotton Exchange. Here is the Custom House. Do you have anything to declare?


Walking back from the movie and a meal (I had not eaten all day), we came across a band playing in the street. Too fun.

I have not seen any headlines or heard any news briefs that would lead me to suspect that Maggie and Belle have misbehaved.

Dramatic electrical storm as I drove back to the apartment. Iron-dark sky and lightning flashing every 3 seconds (or sooner).

I hope you have had a good weekend.

Here is a theatrical trailer for "The Dark Knight":



--the BB

No comments: