Sunday, August 31, 2008

Dumber than dirt

JLFinch draws our attention to Sarah Palin's response to a question during the 2006 Alaska gubernatorial race:
Are you offended by the phrase “Under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance? Why or why not?
SP: Not on your life. If it was good enough for the founding fathers, its good enough for me and I’ll fight in defense of our Pledge of Allegiance

Now I was not around when the Pledge was authored (in 1892) but I was attending Jefferson Elementary School in Fresno, California, when "under God" was introjected and quite threw off my rhythm of recitation.

[I also recall a time somewhat later in my life but no later than high school when I silently added "except minorities" at the end of my recitation, because I knew liberty and justice were not available to all.]

Is Governor Palin of the "if the King James Bible was good enough for Jesus it's good enough for me" school of know-nothingism? Just asking.

And, for the record, I am offended by the insertion of "under God" into the pledge, but that's beside the point.
--the BB

3 comments:

Diane M. Roth said...

I'm offended by some other things about Sarah Palin. If I am remembering, in her speech after nomination, we referred to Hilary Clinton's "18 million cracks in the glass ceiling", and said that she just "broke through."

uh, no.

Maybe if they WIN.

Maybe.

Hillary gathered up 18 million votes for her nomination for president! way different than having a guy pick her for his VP. Nobody voted for her.

And for the record, nobody votes for Vice President. The guys who wouldn't vote for a woman president?

They still won't have to.

Fran said...

This is so not going to be pretty, but the cynic in me tells me to expect the worst.

I am going to work like the dickens to get Obama/Biden elected.

susankay said...

Appropriate that she makes comments that are dumber than dirt since McCain is older than dirt.

(And while her comments may be dumb, I don't think she actually is -- so beware)