Sunday, August 03, 2008

must. preserve. communion. at. all. costs.....


“There is something about the preservation of the global fellowship that is bigger than any of us.”
--Rowan Cantuar

"I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery; you shall have no other gods before me."
--God


I know I am naive and very parochial about all this but isn't our global fellowship a gift of God? Something we are blessed with and need to nurture, of course, but not really of our making? And isn't it guaranteed far more by God's goodness and inbreakings of grace and moments of shared humanity than by, oh, say, rules and structures?

My personal feeling is that far too many in Anglican land are trying to keep the ark from falling of the cart, as though God cannot take care of Godself or the grace of communion will not perdure without us MAKING it perdure. Perhaps they should all reread the story of Uzzah.

When did they stop trusting God? (Oh, when they stopped trusting each other. Right. I think there is a parallel discussion in 1 John.)
--the BB

No comments: