Sunday, August 24, 2008

Some shots from yesterday


Or the day before. I quite lose track of time when I work six days a week and do not always get to church on Sundays (mea culpa).

Anyway, one sees above another view of what I call the wedding cake ornament atop the Hibernia Bank Building (now Capital One). If I have not told the tale before, that white ornament was the first thing to be lit after Katrina, providing an easily visible sign of life and hope.

Below we have two shots of another building along Gravier Street with lovely contrasting terra cotta and white stone and great dentillation.


Sigh, they just don't make 'em like they used to.

[Yes, I am a great fan of neo-classical architecture and of well-proportioned ornamentation - in case anyone is new here.]
--the BB

3 comments:

June Butler said...

I love your architectural shots, Paul. You certainly have an eye. Every time I look at your pictures, I am amazed at what my eyes have missed over the years.

Paul said...

Thank you, Mimi. I suspect you were busy with the daily round of your life. I do not think I ever saw my own locale this way because I was living in it. Though I "live" in NOLA temporarily it is not, of course, the same, so I bring the outsider's eyes to everything. I also chose an intentional focus so I could engage the city on some level and not simply feel dislocated (i.e,, homesick). When I go walking with a camera I see things very differently than on my usual walks, and certainly with more focus than when driving.

Truth be told, when I drive here I really want to pull over almost every other block and take pictures. Since I am commuting to and from work and usually have someone else in the car, I resist this temptation.

And someday I really should get a camera with a genuine telephoto lens. I so want to capture the detail high up on these buildings - or detail in nature - in situations where I cannot get closer.

June Butler said...

Paul, the Rising Tide Conference was at Zeitgeist, an art and performing arts center. Their building is in the process of a slow restoration. If you scroll down at the site, you will see the outside of the building and the room where we met. It's a handsome building, but from the ground floor, with the plate glass wall, it looks like nothing. The interior has the wonderful brick walls with half the plaster gone, which I love. They have a long way to go.