Saturday, September 20, 2008

We have our share of idjits


Texas had Dubya (though he was born in New Haven, Connecticut) and Alaska has Scary Sarah but New Mexico has Fernando de Baca, with sesos de caca de vaca (cowshit for brains, my gringo friends). He's the GOP Chairman for Bernalillo County, where I live. Evidently a bit of a racist pig, if this quote is any indication. And an idjit.
"The truth is that Hispanics came here as conquerors," he said. "African-Americans came here as slaves.

"Hispanics consider themselves above blacks. They won't vote for a black president."

Now, the September 14-16 SurveyUSA poll indicates this:
New Mexico Latinos:

McCain (R) 28
Obama (D) 69
[Sprained muscles from violent rolling of eyes]

Republicans: wrong on just about everything and wrong for America.

h/t to Latino Markos Moulitsas Zuñiga, founder of Daily Kos
--the BB

3 comments:

Fran said...

Dios mio... ay que vergüenza.

Conquerors, eh? Above blacks? What kind of assholery?

I am reminded however of the many, many New Mexicans that I met - all very quick to inform me that they were descended from Spaniards. God forbid they have anything to do with - ay que lastima y verguenza - los Mexicanos!

Which also accounted for the strange Spanish slang I used to hear in NM - the language left to be what it was when all of Nuevo Expana was left to drift and most colonial activity was between what is now Texas and California.

I once bought a book about it at the bookshop at the airport, that was quite a good bookstore for local NM materials I will say.

Paul said...

Yes, I can tell tales. I also have the book of NM Spanish, mostly what would be considered archaic or very local elsewhere in Spanish-speaking countries. I like the survival of distinct vocabularies and local "color."

Proud to see the way Latino voters in NM and nation-wide are headed. ¡Viva la raza!

Fran said...

Si!
Si se puede!