Monday, October 13, 2008

A great silence


When a U.S. citizen receives a Nobel Prize in any field there is usually a great hoopla in the press (sort of like our fixation on Olympic medals which only seem to matter if we win them). So why is it that when Paul Krugman wins the Nobel for economics I don't see any mention of it in this evening's Google News?

We've got stuff about Levi and Bristol. Why not some delighted headlines about Krugman?

Is it because he has long been a fierce critic of the Bush administration and usually right about his critiques?

And, my fellow bloggers, Dr. Krugman is a blogger!

A very hearty congratulations, sir. Well done!

Prof Krugman lectures in economics and international affairs at Princeton University in New Jersey, and also writes a regular column for the New York Times.

He has long been a fierce critic of US President George W Bush's administration, arguing that its economic policies have helped spark the current financial crisis.

The Nobel jury said Prof Krugman's work had led to theories that could help explain the effects of free trade and globalisation and the driving force behind worldwide urbanisation.

"He has thereby integrated the previously disparate research fields of international trade and economic geography," the academy said in its citation.

--the BBC

--the BB

5 comments:

Jane R said...

The Canon to the Extraordinary was doing a little dance about this news yesterday. Yahoo News had it well covered with AP and the BBC.

We did not, however, know that Dr. Krugman was a friend of cats! O BB, you have the best news!

Love and leaps,

+Maya Pavlova, FBE (typed by Jane, Blogger won't let me insert my name here)

Fran said...

I love me some Paul!

Paul said...

Dear +Maya and the C2tE, I looked at several photos of Paul Krugman and instantly knew which one would bring joy to my friends.

Happy leaping and blessed napping (and is there any other kind of napping?).

Pablito

BooCat said...

Anyone with that much brain power had to be a cat person. It just follows, yes?

Paul said...

Perhaps, Boocat, perhaps.

I am a dog person, myself. A large-dog person. Which does not mean I don't like cats. I do. I may sneeze my head off around them, but I like cats. There has always been a special place in my heart for one cat at a time - always someone else's. But in recent years I have been fond of numerous cats, some of whom I have met and some I know only online. We call it growth. Here's a shout out to +Maya and Harry and Oliver and a host of others.