Saturday, January 24, 2009

Le jardin


Sorry, no current photo to go with this. This is the time of year when Albuquerque gardens do not photograph well unless you are very much into a thousand shades of tan and gray. Which I am, but I am still not inclined to take out the camera at this point.

Today I did a bit of digging with the hoe - while a rich mole sauce simmered in the kitchen - enlarging wells around fruit trees and some roses. More to do but my aging back prefers this sort of thing in short stints. Some of my fruit trees from two years ago and half of my bare root roses have not survived. It is time to plan what to do next.

I have noticed that the flat-leaf parsley I planted two years ago survived into last year and went to seed. I now have little parsley plants scattered about. Works for me.

Tonight I will go through some catalogues at Bill's as we both plan what trees we want to plant in our respective back yards. I have a vision of my back yard with fruit trees, roses, a few vegetables, vines along the back wall, and a nice brick patio with a ramada overhead to attenuate the summer sun (and wisteria twined on it). It will take a few years to grow into that vision. For now the sandbox I began with is reasserting itself.

Hardly exciting news but it's the news I have.
--the BB

4 comments:

susankay said...

Paul -- here in Colorado we haul water and are not supposed to use it for outside watering. (I cheat by showering with a bucket and at least watering the two sad lilacs).

One thing that will compensate for losing my wonderful meadow/mountain view here in Colorado is the idea of starting a small raised garden with vine plants around the edges when we finally move to Albuquerque close to full time. I will count on you as a consultant.

DianeNM said...

"Even if I knew that tomorrow the world would go to pieces, I would still plant my apple tree. "
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr

One of my favorite quotes...and I'm with you...going through catalogues, choosing plants...dreaming of glorious spring and summer blossoms. And, oh yeah, that digging thing.

Paul said...

Susankay, I don't think you want me as a consultant here. In the Berkeley hills I had an idea what I was doing. Here I am a babe in the woods with very mixed success.

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Diane N M,

The quote should be "Dr Martin Luther", without the "King Jr".

As old as that!

;=)