Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Some days are like that


The graphic above encapsulates my prayer at some news.



I realize that life may well not be that different from what we have known but communication is much faster and more widespread. We are thus aware of the world's pain, and specifically of the pain of friends and those they love, in a more immediate way than was ever possible before.

It seems that bad news, unspeakably horrible news, keeps coming. The accidental death of a child, the isolation of those with terminal or potentially terminal conditions, the myriad setbacks on the journey toward justice, the surd agony of a planet.

Our initial take on the California Supreme Court's decision on Proposition 8 may well miss a larger and actually somewhat positive point that the name of "marriage" may be withheld but any attempt to deny the rights of domestic relationships would face a much higher hurdle and is not likely to be viewed favorably by the court. See Ann Fontaine's post at The Lead.

What really moves, angers, and appalls me today is the tragedy that Doxy shares with us today. Just read it. You owe this to yourself. It is tragic and infuriating. Through it all Terri-Lynn shines.

May she rest in peace and rise in glory.

[If you have not read Doxy's post, the point of what I append here will be obscure; if you do read her post it will be more than clear.]




[Note: Diverus is a variant of Dives in this folk song. "Dives" is Latin for "rich man."]

As it fell out upon one day,
Rich Divès made a feast,
And he invited all his friends,
And gentry of the best.

Then Lazarus laid him down and down
And down at Divès’ door:
“Some meat and drink, brother, Diverus,
Bestow upon the poor.”

“Thou’rt none of my brothers, Lazarus,
That liest begging at my door;
No meat, nor drink will I give thee,
Nor bestow upon the poor.”

Then Lazarus laid him down and down,
All under Divès’ wall:
“Some meat, some drink, brother Diverus,
For hunger starve I shall.”

“Thou’rt none of my brothers, Lazarus,
That liest begging at my gate;
No meat, no drink will I give thee,
For Jesus Christ His sake.”

Then Divès sent out his hungry dogs,
To bite him as he lay;
They hadn’t the power to bite one bite,
But licked his sores away.

Then Divès sent to his merry men,
To worry poor Lazarus away;
They’d not the power to strike one stroke,
But flung their whips away.

As it fell out upon one day,
Poor Lazarus sickened and died;
There came two angels out of heaven,
His soul therein to guide.

“Rise up! rise up! brother Lazarus,
And go along with me;
For you’ve a place prepared in heaven,
To sit on an angel’s knee.”

As it fell out upon one day,
Rich Divès sickened and died;
There came two serpents out of hell,
His soul therein to guide.

“Rise up! rise up! brother Diverus,
And come along with me;
There is a place provided in hell
For wicked men like thee.”

Then Divès looked up with his eyes
And saw poor Lazarus blest;
“Give me one drop of water, brother Lazarus,
To quench my flaming thirst.”

“O, was I now but alive again
The space of one half hour!
O, that I had my peace again
Then the devil should have no power.”

[text from here]


There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores. The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's Side. The rich man also died and was buried. In Hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.' But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.' He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.' Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.' 'No, Father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.' He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.'
--Luke 16:19-31

--the BB

1 comment:

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Horrible story from Doxy! An evil system, indeed. To our eternal shame - and USA's.