Thursday, June 11, 2009

Your nightly tease


Oh dear, language!
T. seemed to be listening with one ear when reports of the south came in. He looked out the window rather than at those addressing him and cracked his knuckles repeatedly. That his sister- and brother-in-law would not stand up for him was a bitter blow.

“That miserable drengturd thinks he will rule [].”

Not that T. had ever seen a dreng, much less its scat, for drengs were creations of the dark arts known only in legend. No [sorcerer] was likely to conjure them or acknowledge knowing how to do so. Still, the expression evoked powerful disgust, as T. intended.
There are no drengs in this tale (at least I don't think there will be). But they appear elsewhere in the chronicles. Think of a cross between a hamster and a piranha--furry but very nasty.

I started chapter 37 today but have not written a word this evening. On the way home I stopped and bought memory cards for the camera (the twit forgot to remind me I needed some when I bought the camera, so that meant a second trip to Costco). Then to the gym for 30 minutes on the stationary bike. I caught the second half of Colbert tonight. Read a little, prayed a little, blogged a little. Now to bed. I'm bushed.*

Sweet dreams, my virtual voles!

--the BB

* Yes, unfortunate choice of words. Not gonna tax my brain rephrasing.

3 comments:

Fran said...

I love what you are writing... after hearing you read it to me, I fell and fell hard.

Sounds like you had a good night. Me - I was at the library with my theology books working on that second paper!!

A task much more beautifully accomplished when in your presence.

Paul said...

Fran, may the Holy Spirit give you utterance.

June Butler said...

Drengturds. It has a ring. I may take it up. I like what you write, too, Paul.

My WV is "ration". Ration the drengturds?