Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Death among the shrubbery


We've had rain lately, including a serious shower, so the yard is hardly drying out but I gave everything some water last night anyway. One yellow rose bush has some nice flowers on it but mostly we are not in a photo op mode right now. Lots of green and growing. There is one tomato shifting from green toward red, the first! I also picked lots of lovely green critters off my tomatoes before they ate everything.

When I was eighteen I was a pacifist. I registered with my local draft board as a conscientious objector. I was as ready as any 18-year-old to die for my country but not to kill for it. Forty-five years later I am more in touch with my anger and the violent potential within me. While I appreciate many Buddhist teachings, I nonetheless have a mixed record on killing sentient beings. The tomato horn worms had their lives cut short last night.

They are beautiful. I could have gotten some amazing photos, I suppose. But I don't think I can take a photo one minute and slaughter the next.

Now, aren't you glad I try to put my violence into fiction most of the time? Aren't you sorry you read this post?

--the BB

No comments: