Saturday, August 15, 2009

Dry rub for barbecue


Inscribed many years ago on a flyleaf in my Fanny Farmer Cookbook are several family recipes. One is not really from my family but I am using it today.

Dr. Rich Davis invented KC Masterpiece ® Barbecue Sauce. Back when that brand was made national he shared a recipe for a dry rub. I copied it down and and we have always called it "Dr. Dick's Dry Rub." We put it on meat for barbecue (indirect heat, not grilling). I am about to put it on two racks of ribs. Here it is (translated from ounces to easier measurements):

1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons black pepper
2 Tablespoons paprika
2 Tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon onion powder

Mix thoroughly and apply to your trimmed (and patted dry) meat. I prefer doing it the night before but I was not organized, so gonna put it on right now.


In the last 20 minutes slather KC Masterpiece on the ribs.

This has never failed us. Finger-licking good.

Enjoy!

--the BB

KC MASTERPIECE is a registered trademark of The HV Food Products Company (as in Hidden Valley). I doubt they will object to such a shameless (and unpaid, I assure you) plug. Full disclosure: in 1995 I worked as a temp for the Clorox Corporation which owns Hidden Valley and Kingsford Charcoal (and I won't use any other brand of charcoal but that's because it's a good product).

No comments: