Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Quick note on the opera

While I really did not care for the snippets posted at the Santa Fe Opera site, when it comes to the totality of the experience this evening I really enjoyed The Letter. Well sung, well acted, well staged. I was, I admit it, dreading atonal bellowing but what we got instead was lyrical, with some nice harmonies and orchestration. The portrayal of racism by British colonials against Asians was absolutely painful, but a good reminder of how far we have come and how far we have yet to go. I think my favorite line is when "the Chinese woman" (she is never given a name) tells the sleazeball attorney "I forgive you." That contains volumes on topics of wrongdoing, power, race, culture, the overthrowing of assumptions, etc.

More later. A good night (and delicious dinner at Gabriel's north of the opera beforehand).

--the BB

No comments: