Monday, April 19, 2010

Still at it


There will be a new gardening report in the not-too-distant future. I have decided to let myself run amok with intensive planting. It gives me too much joy not to. Planning the north wall now, which should end up being a border of lavender, roses, dianthus, snapdragons, and verbena. I picked up a jasmine vine to replace the bower vine that did not make it from last year. (I truly do want the west wall completely hidden by foliage in the summertime. I realize it will mostly be brown twigs in the winter.)

I also picked up two large pots that will hold a mix of herbs and showy flowers. These can "frame" the small concrete pad outside the dining room door.

I deadheaded roses planted a week ago and pruned vines a bit this evening. I also watered everything planted yesterday and a few other plants that looked as though they could use it.

Now I await that moment when I go to a garden center or nursery and hear voices in my head: a chorus of friends saying, "Step away from the rose bushes."

--the BB

2 comments:

susan s. said...

How's the water supply in NM?

Paul said...

A very valid point, Susan, I am not xeriscaping but creating a small oasis. I have, historically, used way less water per person than average each summer since moving here, I use lots of mulch, and I hand water. Those are the only lame excuses I can offer. The front yard is xeriscaped.