Monday, June 28, 2010

Heart thread - 06/28/2010


This evening I shall try to recreate last night's prayer offering.

Let us remember the fine folks at 4cGLAD whom I forgot last week. They keep the flame burning in the Four Corners area. Also Equality New Mexico (EQNM) who helped bring Bishop Robinson here. As this Pride Month draws to close let us pray for all who carry on the struggle for equality and inclusion.

I give thanks for the drag queens who fought back at Stonewall in the wee hours of June 28, 1969. They taught us all to stand up for ourselves and be who we are and not be intimidated, bullied, and oppressed. The work is ongoing but we stand on their shoulders, held up by their high heels and brave hearts.

For Bishops Gene and Mary that the holy angels may guide, guard, and defend them.

For LGBT youngsters growing up and discovering who they are. For those still in the closet.

Let us stand strong in prayer for our sister Kirstin. She is in hospital this week without the internet to keep her in touch. Here is a portion of a recent update. You may also follow her blog.
First, THANK YOU to everyone for being in my universe. I have the most amazing, loving, multi-layered support system ever. I really don't have words for what your presence does for me. And thank you to everyone who's written. Sometimes it's emotionally difficult for me to keep up with responding--but I deeply appreciate your notes, and I love having people be visible in my life.

I put my faith in love and modern medicine. And I know how loved I am. You are doing so much--and God, through you. I am able to go to the places inside myself where I need to go, largely because you are here.

When you pray for me, please pray that I can love my body through this. I've been so angry with it, for getting sick despite the treatment that I already put myself through. I know intutively that if I am to survive this, I need to come through it whole.

I don't believe in a god who gives and takes diseases. A cure, if it happens, will be medical. Love heals--and healing has been happening absolutely everywhere. Thank you more than I can say, for dropping me notes, holding me in prayer, being who you are.
I ask your prayers for J and J, who wrestle with disappointment. May they know and feel the love surrounding them and Christ's presence. May they find a way forward.

For Mark, who journeys a long path of healing and grief. We hear from him only occasionally but we do not forget him.

For il corvino del mio cuore et la sua famiglia.

For those in long and difficult struggles of health and their partners and families: for John and Raven, Jim and Ruthie, Frank and Carol, Elizabeth's brother John and his family, and young Declan.

Continued healing for Mother Sandra, Bruce, Kathy, Janet, Tad, and Dave.

For all the confidential prayer requests we carry in our hearts and those whose needs are known to God alone.

Having just enjoyed Much Ado About Nothing at the Vortex Theatre Friday evening, I give thanks for playwrights, actors, directors, stage hands, house managers, costumers, set builders, prop handlers, lighting designers, etc. - all who create the magic of live theater. Also for musicians and creative persons in all the arts. This brings to mind my academic friends who struggle with papers, tests, these, and dissertations - you know who you are.

For those consumed with fear or rage, the forgotten and lonely, the abused and oppressed, the lost and bewildered.

For the unemployed and the anxious.

For our Mother Earth as she bleeds oil into her sacred waters, for all her creatures, for all who seek to honor and heal her. For the people of the Gulf Coast as they struggle to reorient their lives to a new and threatening reality. For those threatened by tropical storm Alex.

For social healing in Kyrgyzstan.

Thanksgiving that the Northern Province of the Moravian Church and the Episcopal Church will enter full communion.

That this evening may be holy, good, and peaceful,
We entreat you, O Lord.

That your holy angels may lead us in paths of peace and goodwill,
We entreat you, O Lord.

That we may be pardoned and forgiven for our sins and offenses,
We entreat you, O Lord.

That there may be peace to your Church and to the whole world,
We entreat you, O Lord.

That we may depart this life in your faith and fear, and not be condemned before the great judgment seat of Christ,
We entreat you, O Lord.

That we may be bound together by your Holy Spirit in the communion of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Irenaeus of Lyon, Peter and Paul, and all your saints, entrusting one another and all our life to Christ,
We entreat you, O Lord.


--the BB

3 comments:

June Butler said...

Amen, and amen, and amen.

Michal Anne said...

Thank you for this, Paul. Please add a thanksgiving for the stone butches at Stonewall,who, with the drag queens, emboldened our community to resist oppression. The butches were as important to that moment as the drag queens, but tend to get ignored.

Ellie Finlay said...

For those consumed with fear or rage, the forgotten and lonely, the abused and oppressed, the lost and bewildered.

For the unemployed and the anxious.


These are good, good prayers. I'm going to add them to the intercession book at the Center.