Monday, August 23, 2010

It was not do-nothing mode


The weekend was not really super busy and I did spend lots of time sitting around. Nonetheless, I made progress on several fronts.

Dinner in Corrales on Friday. As I wrote to a friend through whom I got the wine:
The menu (a tribute to late summer):
Goat cheese with strips of roasted and peeled Big Jim green chiles from B's yard, olive oil, salt, pepper - all spread on crackers. The chiles are usually fairly mild but these had kick.
Freshly-picked figs that K. brought (her neighbor's tree hangs over into her yard) halved and served with little strips of prosciutto.
Ripe very intensely red tomatoes from B's yard, sliced with olive oil, chiffonade of Thai basil, salt and pepper.
Grilled chicken that has been marinated in lemon juice for a couple hours, then brushed with olive oil and Dijon mustard, salt and pepper. So simple and so good.
Grilled eggplant slices brushed with olive oil.
Grilled corn on the cob.
Peach cobbler that I had made with Red Haven peaches from my tree, picked when they were literally starting to fall from the branch.
The wine was a St Peter's Church Reserve Zinfandel. Nice big wine. I did feel stuffed like a turkey after all that food.

Saturday I had an eye exam and purchased a new pair of glasses. Slight changes in one eye, nothing huge. I think my brain has adjusted to the change already. Since it is not hugely different from the last prescription this means I now have a spare pair of glasses.

I also did a bit of retail therapy, paid the chap who got a new motor for my downstairs A/C unit, hung out with the local Italians for a couple of hours, and did a load of laundry.

Sunday saw three more loads of laundry, I ran the dishwasher twice (yes, I had let dishes pile up), cleaned the kitchen, baked the last peach cobbler of the season and took most of it next door for the neighbors (tacky, but I had a little), and worked on updating my cast of characters and their alliances (previous post). The day before I studied Italian in a phrase book and Sunday evening I watched a bit of Italian TV online.

Should I win the lottery in any substantial amount I will hire someone to clean my house, you can be sure of that. Don't we all have these fantasies?

I would not mind a nice uneventful week.

--the BB

3 comments:

it's margaret said...

me too. --hire someone to clean my house, that is.

The Cunning Runt said...

Paul, that sounds absolutely delicious! I love this time of year, with everything fresh from our (or someone else local's) garden. My housemate Miz Lu and I sit around the dooryard most evenings eating everything fresh off the wood fire and yumming like pilgrims just in from a year in the desert. It would be embarrassing if there were civilized folks around!

Anyway, I'm glad to hear you're enjoying this season as well! :)

BooCat said...

Oh, Paul. I need to rent a construction dumpster and a front-end loader to get most of the contents of this mess out of here just so I can begin to clean house. After that, then I might hire a housekeeper, should the ship ever come in on some day without a dock strike. In the meantime, I try to shovel it out one scoop at a time. Such is life.

P.S. Just reading your menus makes me gain weight. Yum!