Monday, February 25, 2008

A new visitor

Sometime between when I went to bed last night and rose this morning, a visitor from Pakistan came through. Welcome.

When I was doing a temp job with PG&E (Pacific Gas and Electric, the utility company in Northern California) I sat next to a really fine chap from Pakistan. This was during Ramadan so he make the effort to visit the nearest mosque on lunch hour. We had perfectly pleasant chats about all sorts of things, including religion, as we respected each other's faith. Alas, I did not pick up a handy half-dozen phrases of Urdu, though we did discuss the language some.

Peace and good governance to the people of Pakistan.

Update (music video):
Leading ghazal vocalist Farida Khanum renders a ghazal on PTV. Woh Ishq Jo Humse Rooth Gaya

--the BB

1 comment:

Fran said...

I was transfixed by the video!

Not too long before Mr He Is came back into my life, I dated a man from Pakistan. This was much to the chagrin of my family and even to the chagrin of some of my more liberal, but Jewish friends. Me dating a Muslim! Suddenly the open minds and hearts went a little cold. It made me sad, but it is what it is.

He had lived in the US for about 25 years and was one of those people who had their heart in both places. He was a really nice guy - very kind, smart and funny.

He was very touched when I sent him a card for Eid at the end of Ramadan. When we first met he was surprised that I knew so much about Islam and that I was not afraid.

On a sadder note, he travelled frequently on business and he was often detained, questioned and so forth when doing so. Of course he had a name that was similar to that of a "known terrorist" so that complicated things for him. It hurt him but he said he remained calm because of the alternatives. He even had special letters and paperwork from his employer (a very major company) but that usually meant nothing.

Once he was in custody at an airport for 36 hours with no explanation.

Who knows- if Mr He Is had not turned up, I might be still involved with this gentleman.

Also I just saw "A Mighty Heart" with scenes from Karachi. Then today I heard a piece on Morning Edition about the schools in Pakistan.

As usual too many words from me. Shutting up now.