Monday, February 25, 2008

Too true! We try to do better here.

If your eyes are straining, the caption reads: Geography lesson in an American public school.

Hell, I didn't know they even did this well anymore. There are geography lessons?

This cartoon comes via Ellie at Child of Illusion. She borrowed one of my graphics and I am returning the favor (and the linky love).

I suppose we had our share of maps when I was a child in school but I clearly remember Mr. Amend, my high school world history teacher, giving us outline maps that we had to fill in, sketching mountain chains and locating cities and other features.

There have been times when I could label most of the nations of Africa. I would hate to be quizzed on it today. At a very quick glance I am rather certain I could label at least 14 on this map. How sad is that? I could probably name 90% of the countries, but can I locate them with certainty? I think I need to spend more time with my globe.

Citizens of the United States (my dear friends from the rest of the Western Hemisphere, please note that I did not lazily say "Americans") need to see more representations of the globe NOT centered on the United States. GFL.

OK. Now that all the "compare and contrast" essays on the two videos have been handed in (not!), our next assignment is to learn the location of ONE nation that we could not locate when we woke up this morning. Special blessings on all those who learn several.

And I do want reports back on this one, gang. Ignorance of the world we live in has disastrous results.
--the BB

9 comments:

Fran said...

I could not agree more. Some of my favorite "toys" when I was but a nerd-child were my atlas, my encyclopedia and my globe, my precious globe.

Like you- I would not want to be quizzed on the African geography, but sadly we would probably do better than many. And that ain't sayin' much is it????

This is a great post.

BTW- you did notice on that first E for Excellent Blogger post I did, you are one of the most Excellent. You may not wish to claim your title, but I have shared it with you and with great love anyway.

Paul said...

Thank you, Fran, my ego insecurity is great enough that I looked for myself, and found me too. You are very sweet. I will probably give an "acceptance post" though I have to repress my modesty. LOL

Fran said...

Modesty is overrated. Well,not really but I am thinking that you should bask in the light of this particular attention. Your great blogging skills demand it.

(fran is smiling very broadly at you and wishing that a meal at some fine albuquerqian restaurant could be shared with you. one day!)

Kirstin said...

Came up with 18 that I'm sure of.

What's GFL? Good F*cking Luck?

Story for you: My mother is the child of two educators. I got a globe when I was 8, and played with it all the time.

When I was 15/16 (1986), my mom asked me where Libya was. I got my globe and showed her. Her next question...

wait for it

"Where's Africa?"

Paul said...

Good for you!

How blessed are children with dictionaries, globes, and encyclopedias to roam through. I imagine I might do better than 14 if I took my time but the uncertainty would start to creep in rapidly.

I may begin Monday geography blogging.

Kirstin said...

I was a reference-book rat from an early age, too. And I remember coloring lots of maps in elementary and middle school. I have enough of a photographic memory, that it stuck with me.

Of course I was done with that well before the former Soviet Union became what it is, so I have lots of holes there.

June Butler said...

No report from me. I'm too ashamed. One new country? OK, but it's one among many: Central African Republic. Must you shame me on a Monday, Paul?

Paul said...

Oh Lord, Mimi, I am not in the shame business. A little collective chastising now and again, maybe. The goal is for us to keep learning, keep striving, keep loving.

Kirstin said...

...and we do.