Saturday, December 06, 2008

This is a government of law - Updated


Inscription on a New Orleans courthouse

Russ Feingold spoke with Bill Moyers last night about the rule of law and writes about it at Daily Kos today. Check it out.

A quote:
One area we spoke about at length, restoring the rule of law, has to be a top priority. Our founding fathers laid down a basic principle -- that we are a nation of laws and that no one, including the president, is above the law. From Guantanamo Bay and warrantless wiretapping to torture and excessive secrecy, the Bush administration has turned this principle on its head. The Constitution states that it and the laws of the United States are "the supreme Law of the Land." Yet, the current administration has claimed unprecedented powers as it has ignored or willfully misinterpreted the laws on the books.
Update:

I was in a hurry to publish this before running off to a potluck this evening (and pull bread out of the oven), so I did not acknowledge that I read about the Bill Moyers - Russ Feingold interview first at Acts of Hope where Jane R has a fine discussion of it.  Later I saw Senator Feingold's post.  I hope between Jane and me we have whetted y'all's appetite for rule of law.
--the BB

5 comments:

Fran said...

Amen brother - I saw that episode too.

Jane R said...

You been readin' over at my place? Or we have the same instincts. I posted last night on same.

We love Russ Feingold.

Paul said...

Yes, Jane, I had read about it at your place and was going to give you some linky-love but I was in a hurry to press publish and run off to a potluck tonight. Hope the update is a sufficient mea culpa for not mentioning you first.

Jane R said...

Oh, sweetie, I didn't mean to be an Acknowledgment Hog. Sorry! You are too kind. In fact, I thought you might have just read it at Daily Kos. I was just being competitive and saying "I saw it too! I saw it too!" Thanks for the linky love. Always nice.

The Constitution. Gotta love it.

P.S. Word verification says "lugglon."

Paul said...

Jane, I know you didn't. But I DID see it at your place first, so a h/t was in order.