Friday, December 07, 2007

It is not quite midnight

Nonetheless, in a few minutes it will be the 8th of December, so I shall write as though it already were.

Seventeen years ago today in Grace Cathedral, San Francisco, the Rt Rev William E Swing ordained me to the sacred order of priests. I give thanks for that grace and tremble at that responsibility. One thing I recall from that day was being utterly at peace amid the momentousness of it.

It was some time later that I "landed my first full-time job" in the church (ecclesiastical language seems too fancy). When the Bishop came to institute me as rector of St Cuthbert's, Oakland, it was a rather overwhelming event. When the time came for me to kneel before the altar and recite the following prayer, I had a powerful sense of the presence of Cuthbert of Lindisfarne hovering over the altar, along with the hosts of heaven and God's own Self. This was personal.

It took me some time to get through the prayer. I choked up a lot and could barely speak. Today I commit myself anew.

O Lord my God, I am not worthy to have you come under my roof; yet you have called your servant to stand in your house, and to serve at your altar. To you and to your service I devote myself, body, soul, and spirit. Fill my memory with the record of your mighty works; enlighten my understanding with the light of your Holy Spirit; and may all the desires of my heart and will center in what you would have me do. Make me an instrument of your salvation for the people entrusted to my care, and grant that I may faithfully administer your holy Sacraments, and by my life and teaching set forth your true and living Word. Be always with me in carrying out the duties of my ministry. In prayer, quicken my devotion; in praises, heighten my love and gratitude; in preaching, give me readiness of thought and expression; and grant that, by the clearness and brightness of your holy Word, all the world may be drawn into your blessed kingdom. All this I ask for the sake of your Son our Savior Jesus Christ. Amen.

--Paul+

13 comments:

Fran said...

I decided to have a quick look here before heading out to mass for the Feast Day of the Immaculate Conception.

And I am so glad I did. Blessings and peace to you in abundance dear Paul, on this day.

Reading your prayer brought tears to my own eyes, it is so beautiful.

Thank you for sharing this with us and God bless you always.

Crazy blogging - how grateful I am for the grace of crazy blogging that brings me into the presence of so many remarkable people.

Kirstin said...

Hugs and alleluias!

I know what it's like to tremble in the presence of God.

That prayer gives me shivers. Thank you for posting it, for holding it in your heart, for living with what it asks of you.

My friend, my brother, God bless you--and thank you, for sharing the blessing of who you are, with us.

Paul said...

Thank you, Fran.

Yes, it is always nice to know there are others out there like us.

June Butler said...

Congratulations on your anniversary, Paul. What a lovely and grace-filled post. The institution prayer is beautiful. These words jump out at me:

...may all the desires of my heart and will center in what you would have me do.

Amen. The words are for all of us.

Paul said...

Chère Grandmère, the words are indeed for all of us. I get teary every time I think about this. Wanted to invite y'all into my joy and gratitude today.

Mike Farley said...

Congratulations, if a little late, Paul. Sorry! But really, anyone who can write as you did deserves all the congratulations that 17 years can accumulate... You are an example to us all.

Paul said...

Thanks, Mike. Not late at all. Here in New Mexico it is still only 2:38 pm (1:38 in California). 17 years ago at this hour I was rather "freshly minted."

Diane M. Roth said...

Grandmere Mimi is right. they are words for all of us

thank you...

Wormwood's Doxy said...

Blessings to you, Paul. May you continue to get teary over such beautiful and holy things...tears are prayers too.

Pax,
Doxy

Paul said...

Thanks, Diane and Doxy. Yes, tears certainly are prayers. Many of my best cries are in church.

johnieb said...

I read this, and was too moved to post a comment. Now I'm back to thank Godde here we have such priests as Paul in our midst.

Grace-filled to overflowing.

Kirstin said...

As am I, JohnieB. Wholeheartedly.

Jane R said...

Hugs and gratitude for you, and to Godde, dear brother Paul.