Tuesday, February 26, 2008

"Because in America ... no one is above the law"

Glenn Greenwald, in an update to a post, gives us this:
In accepting Chris Dodd's endorsement today, Barack Obama said, in part:

We know it's time to time to restore our Constitution and the rule of law. This is an issue that was at the heart of Senator Dodd's candidacy, and I share his passion for restoring the balance between the security we demand and the civil liberties that we cherish. . . .

I've been proud to stand with Senator Dodd in his fight against retroactive immunity for the telecommunications industry. Secrecy and special interests must not trump accountability. We must show our citizens -- and set an example to the world -- that laws cannot be ignored when it is inconvenient. Because in America -- no one is above the law. . ..

It's time to give our intelligence and law enforcement agencies the tools they need to track down and take out terrorists, while ensuring that their actions are subject to vigorous oversight that protects our freedom. So let me be perfectly clear: I have taught the Constitution, I understand the Constitution, and I will obey the Constitution when I am President of the United States.
--the BB

2 comments:

Fran said...

As you know, I have not committed to Hilary or Obama. I have issues with both.

That said, this telecom immunity issue looms large for me and I was furious that Clinton did not vote!

So that and this endorsement and message speaks to me.

Deep, deep sigh.

June Butler said...

Yes, we can!

I thought Obama did quite well in the debate. If Clinton is smart, she will not demand any more debates, because she does not help herself at all in that milieu. She looked at Obama as though she loathed him, and he, in turn, appeared very gracious.