Thursday, September 25, 2008

I have fallen way behind

It is over a month since we had our first visitors from these three nations and they bring our virtual flag collection up to 131. We have, however, had visitors from 140 nations (as you can see in the sidebar), so I need to do some catching up.

St. Kitt's is one of the places in the world that I have visited when we did our "treasure island" cruise in the Caribbean on the Star Clipper some years ago. It is the smallest nation in the Americas and is among the Leeward Islands. [Wiki] It was a land of sugar cane plantations. While there we took a walk into a rainforest (and swung from liana vines - yes, like Tarzan in the movies but not quite so high up and without the fearsome call of the white ape).

Guyana is located east of Venezuela and west of Suriname. Prior to this year I had no personal link to Guyana but for the past five months I have been working side by side with a gentleman from Guyana. He tells me of life at the coast where one may go out to a levee and fish or take fruits of many kinds from the trees, as though sea and land alike were eager to offer their bounty and feed you.

We think of South America as being primarily Spanish-speaking, and so it is. The four exceptions are Brazil (Portuguese) - the best known - Suriname (Dutch), French Guiana (French), and Guyana (English). Guyanese Creole and several indigenous languages are also spoken there. I could not quite figure out my coworker's accent as he seemed culturally quite attuned to the Caribbeans in our group but his English had a different music to it. Guyana is a Commonwealth nation.

English, French, and Seychellois Creole are spoken in the Republic of Seychelles, an archipelago nation in the Indian Ocean. (Check out the geography post on East Africa and the Indian Ocean.) Lots of foreign investment going on there these days. I heard folks say this week that they don't extradite for any reason, so who knows, maybe Dick Cheney will retire there. I also recall friends talking about a trip there many years ago.

I think I skipped Mali. My bad. I will return to it on the next flag posting.

Sorry, no music this time around. I am far too far behind to do that too and it is already past my bedtime.

A hearty welcome to our visitors from these (and all) nations!
--the BB

No comments: