Sunday, March 01, 2009

Early blooms


As lovely as they are, it is not a good sign to have trees bloom early. If a frost comes or storms blow the blossoms off, you won't have any fruit setting.

Still, the blossoms are lovely and here are some on the Elberta peach I just planted.

Here is a close-up:


Not much action in the yard on my part this weekend. I put in lots more mulch and did some watering.

The Methley plum has just begun to bloom and the Santa Rosa plum is getting ready to.
--the BB

3 comments:

David@Montreal said...

Paul
I know this is going to sound like a stupid question, even before I ask it, but I'm counting on your usual generous forebearance, my friend.
Is the 'ground' in your actually pure sand, as it appears? And do you have to fill the excavation sites with soil before planting?

David@Montreal

Paul said...

It is a mixture of sand and very fine adobe clay. Nothing nutritive in it. The surface is almost entirely sand because it blows, especially in the spring winds. And thus the term "blow sand."

Everything I plant has a mixture of mushroom compost added to it, a combination of chicken manure and other stuff. Then on top I put mulch of cedar bark.

David@Montreal said...

Wow Paul
what a challenge
it makes me appreciate the luxuary of my wondeful grass lawn even more
and the sheer luxuary of walking barefoot on it late at night with the pup nearby.
not yet of course, it's still under almost a foot of snow, but it and all the plants and bulbs, shrubs and lillacs will have their day soon!
Thanks for the info Paul, it makes me appreciate your efforts even more.
hugs

David@Montreal