Saturday, May 23, 2009

Why would I type such hateful things? - updated


Like wishing for Dick Cheney and his daughter to burn in hell?

Let's just call it a visceral reaction to the evil they are trying to defend. Sort of like a certain Psalm verse (137:9):
Happy shall he be who takes your little ones, *
and dashes them against the rock!
Let's just say I am coming to understand (not justify, but understand) the sentiment. If I even so much as see his photo or hear him on TV or radio (and now her as well) I start to scream "Burn in hell!" It's really not having a very good effect on me, nor am I resisting that anger. Because that anger energizes me to fight against such an evil, to oppose their lies every chance I get.

Try reading a real description of waterboarding (here) and I think you will get the picture. Do not read this if it is likely to trigger traumatic experiences for you.
There is no excuse for this, there can be no extenuating circumstances for these acts of torture. We received no intelligence that saved lives from the 186 times we tortured Khalid Sheik Mohamed or the 83 times we tortured Abu Zabaydah. Even if we had there can be no acceptance of this kind of completely inhuman acts. Former Vice President Cheney is a War Criminal. Everyone who participated and ordered theses acts must be investigated and tried for their State Sponsored Torture program.

Just saying.

UPDATE from Psalm 10 - Ut quid, Domine?:
5 Their ways are devious at all times;
your judgments are far above out of their sight; *
they defy all their enemies.

6 They say in their heart," I shall not be shaken; *
no harm shall happen to me ever."

7 Their mouth is full of cursing, deceit, and oppression; *
under their tongue are mischief and wrong.

8 They lurk in ambush in public squares
and in secret places they murder the innocent; *
they spy out the helpless.

9 They lie in wait, like a lion in a covert;
they lie in wait to seize upon the lowly; *
they seize the lowly and drag them away in their net.

10 The innocent are broken and humbled before them; *
the helpless fall before their power.

11 They say in their heart, "God has forgotten; *
he hides his face; he will never notice."

12 Rise up, O LORD;
lift up your hand, O God; *
do not forget the afflicted.

--the BB

4 comments:

susankay said...

Well -- I just scream: "turn it off, turn it off" but my love believes in knowing ones enemies so I plug in ear buds and play Peter Paul and Mary songs. -- so ... I'm old, so what.

Earthbound Spirit said...

Ah, someone who quotes the end of Psalm 137 (and quite appropriately, too)! And some wonder why the people of the Middle East doubt when our leaders said they wanted to bring them democracy...

Paul said...

Did anyone doubt that what we wanted to bring them was Halliburton? (Who did business with Iraq in spite of embargoes under Saddam Hussein. Fancy that.)

Anonymous said...

Dick Cheney... Ahh, he makes me laugh so he does. Unlike poor old Harry Whittington who, I suspect, doesn't find Dick funny at all.

I can understand the burn in hell bit though, I tend to have a similar reaction to the Face of Blair...