Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Glad I got home from work when I did


As I drove home from work this evening, just before descending the mesa toward my house, I heard the squawks announcing an emergency alert. What you will read below is what they announced on the radio.

Right now it is pouring in my neighborhood. Lighting strikes and thunder booms periodically. A little while ago there was a very near, very bright flash that got my attention. It had to be very close. After that I opened the blinds so I can watch. Glad I have a very heavy-duty bunch of surge protectors in this house.

Here is the scoop from the national weather service:
626 PM MDT TUE JUL 21 2009

...FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 745 PM MDT FOR EASTERN BERNALILLO COUNTY...

AT 620 PM MDT...THE PUBLIC REPORTED FLASH FLOODING FROM A THUNDERSTORM NEAR THE INTERSECTION CANDELARIA AND JUAN TABO IN ALBUQUERQUE. TWO AND A HALF FEET OF WATER WAS REPORTED AT THIS INTERSECTION WHICH STRANDED CARS. AN OFF DUTY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE EMPLOYEE REPORTED 1.95 INCHES OF RAIN NEAR THIS INTERSECTION. HEAVY RAIN ALSO CONTINUES IN TIJERAS CANYON NEAR CARNUEL WHERE RADAR ESTIMATES OVER 2 INCHES OF RAIN FELL. THE STORMS PRODUCING FLASH FLOODING WAS NEARLY STATIONARY.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
EASTERN PORTIONS OF THE ALBUQUERQUE METRO AREA...
CARNUEL...
SANDIA HEIGHTS...
CEDAR CREST...

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED VERY HEAVY RAINFALL WAS CONTINUING OVER THE WARNED AREA. ADDITIONAL FLASH FLOODING IS EXPECTED.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DRIVE THROUGH FLOODED ROADWAYS. MANY FLASH FLOOD DEATHS OCCUR IN AUTOMOBILES.

ARROYOS...STREAMS AND RIVERS CAN BECOME RAGING KILLER CURRENTS IN A MATTER OF MINUTES. KNOW WHERE HIGHER GROUND IS LOCATED.
In our safety message of the week at last Friday's staff meeting the branch chief discussed flash floods. Good timing.

I just looked out my bedroom window. Rooster tails as cars zip along the street bordering my back yard. The swales in our yards are designed to channel water away from our houses, down between them and out to the street in front. Right now all our swales look like standing ponds.

Will I work on the novel or crawl under some covers on the couch and watch a movie tonight? Either will be nice.

KOAT.COM has this right now:
Weather Alerts
11 counties are now under advisories, watches, or severe weather warnings.
The rain where the guy's hand is in the photo up top has moved west to pass over me. Obviously I missed some earlier today. And it's still coming, though we just had a break.

Friends, I am warm, dry, and safe. Also risk-averse. The earth rejoices to be watered. (And we ain't got no hurricanes!)

--the BB

3 comments:

Brian R said...

Keep safe, although I have surge protectors as I live in a lightning prone area, I unplug all computer equipment during a storm to be sure. I have lost a microwave and a modem and my neighbour lost all their electrical equipment. These are covered by insurance but not my data.

Paul said...

Good point, Brian. And it was foolish of me not to unplug. It is not as though I don't have a battery good for a few hours! The storm appears to have passed. All is quiet now (on the western front of ABQ).

Göran Koch-Swahne said...

Take care and good luck!