Monday, July 20, 2009

Speaking of wiggly worms....

Manduca quinquemaculata (Haworth)
Photo credit: Extension Entomology, Texas A&M University

I have not seen any on my tomatoes in the past several days. The plants are quite devastated, having lost 1/3 to 2/3 of their leaves, depending on the plant, but I am hoping they all survive and produce. I have eaten two tomatoes, on red cherry tomato and one yellow tiny pear tomato. We shall see how many more the yard manages to produce.

Yes, that's what the critters look like and they get as big as my forefinger (and I have huge hands).
--the BB

5 comments:

it's margaret said...

And if you decide to pluck them off manually, they will rise up on their hind legs and threaten you with their horns....

I hope your plants survive these nasties.

Paul said...

I did pluck them all off by hand. The first several days they were rather passive, then they were more aggressive but still destined to leave my garden.

I have not seen any for days now. Did not check this evening. We have heavy rain right now, with flash flood warnings in eastern Bernalillo County. The yard will not need to be watered for a while, methinks.

I do need to prune the tops of the tomatoes that are now bare branches but I am counting on a comeback. Hope springs eternal in the furry beast.

IT said...

Bacillus thuringiensis.

Paul said...

Yes, IT, I've heard Bt is a good thing for situations like this. Will need to investigate. Thanks!

Blessed be the scientists.

The Cunning Runt said...

My toms are still in the flower phase - it's rained so much here, I shouldda planted rice!

:(