Thursday, April 17, 2008

Resilience




Jeff Zeleny at the NYT writes about it.
He told the audience that he intended to let the criticism roll off of him. As he spoke, he made a dramatic gesture of wiping off his sleeves and dusting off his dark suit.

"That’s what you got to do," he said, drawing loud applause from the audience. "That’s what you’ve got to do. But understand this, that is also precisely why I’m running for president – to change that kind of politics."
[Emphasis mine]

h/t to mspicata (who, in turn, credits Steven R)

UPDATE:
I just read this - and am delighted to read it - from Staff Reports at the Charlotte Observer:
Obama spoke as if he had already won the Democratic nomination, telling the crowd he would respond with force to Republican attacks. "If the Republicans come at me, I will come right back at them, and I will come at them hard," he said.

"I'll be honest with you. It's a little harder to do with a fellow Democrat, because I'm trying to show some restraint. I won't have as much restraint with the Republicans."
h/t to zenbowl for this.


--the BB

2 comments:

June Butler said...

Beautiful! He's got the magic touch. He's amazing. I pray that if he wins that he follows through with actions. It's been a long time since I could trust a politician, and I'm not there yet, but he is very, very appealing.

Paul said...

He will, indeed, need to follow through, and I certainly hope he does.

If I were to assume that Clinton and McCain would also follow through, I firmly opt for Obama's vision and approach.