Monday, April 14, 2008

Want to make your stand?


Join the ACLU and our friends at Crooks & Liars: Call on your members of Congress to demand an independent prosecutor to investigate possible violations by the Bush administration of laws including the War Crimes Act, the federal Anti-Torture Act and federal assault laws.

Please sign on.


h/t to Digby and blessings on John Amato.

I signed on last night to and let Heather Wilson (R-NM01) know how I feel. I cannot imagine it moving her but at least she knows where I stand.

Update:
Sen. Bingaman, however, responded and here is an excerpt from his form letter:
As you may know, I am a cosponsor of S. 576, the Restoring the Constitution Act of 2007, which was introduced by Senator Dodd and has been referred to the Committee on Armed Services. Passing this important legislation would ensure that detainees are treated consistent with our obligations under domestic and international law, by providing fair trial procedures for individuals tried before military commissions. In addition, the bill restores the writ of habeas corpus for individuals detained by the United States. I have also cosponsored S. 185, the Habeas Corpus Restoration Act of 2007, which was recently proposed as an amendment to the Defense Authorization Act of 2008. Unfortunately, the amendment was not adopted. You may also be interested to know that I recently cosponsored an amendment to the Defense Authorization Act of 2008, that requires the President to close the detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. However, this amendment was not voted on.

As a U.S. Senator I took an oath to uphold the Constitution, even in times of war, and I believe that we can fight terrorism without abandoning our longstanding commitment to human rights and the rule of law.
It is very refreshing to see an elected official acknowledge the oath to uphold the Constitution. Would that more of them remembered their sacred obligation.
--the BB

4 comments:

Jane R said...

Oh, thank you, Pablito.

I will report back on whether my representatives from North Carolina say or do anything...

Fran said...

Well Mrs. Clinton is rather busy right now. Kirstin Gillibrand however does seem to actually care.

Chuck Schuemer is a little close with his BFF Mukasey, so not even going there.

Good on ya Paul!

June Butler said...

Well, I sent my message, Paul, not that I believe mine will have much effect on either Melancon, Vitter, or Landrieu.

Paul said...

At least we have taken a stand, Mimi (et al.). We have done that much, and we have not been silent.

Many drops of water over time....