Sunday, May 17, 2009

Mad dogs, Englishmen, and crazed bears


When I got home from church I headed out into the yard under the midday sun. This may be doubly foolish since I got a haircut yesterday and what is not already bald is now buzzed down to #1.

I planted the last remaining penstemon, did a bit more well repair and mulching, and watered the newly planted items again. I hope to have photos later today or tomorrow but some more of my bare root roses have had their first bloom, one more has shoots, and one from last year has new shoots too. I am still waiting for some sign of life an about five others. Nonetheless, the yard is a great joy to my heart.

Oh, and I stretched out more string along the wall for vines to grow on, pruned a bit, and put up poles for the beans.

We had a lovely time at church, as usual. Afterward I met a visitor who knew some of our members. As we were chatting it finally dawned on me: he is the son of a colleague with whom I had been in a support group in California! The world is small. The world of Episcopalians is really, really small.

--the BB

3 comments:

June Butler said...

I rejoice with you in your garden, Paul. I see what great pleasure it gives you.

The world of Episcopalians is really, really small.

And is that necessarily a bad thing? I don't think so.

Paul said...

A bad thing? I don't think so. But it is amusing from time to time. We are always running into someone who knows someone we know.

My ex used to say there are really only 300 Episcopalians and they just keep moving around. When we see how interconnected we are his comment sounds plausible. It doesn't hold up when you get a thousand or so of us together in one cathedral, but in more ordinary circumstances....

June Butler said...

LOL. I think your ex is right - only 300 moving around from place to place. And aren't we "special"?