Sunday, September 09, 2007

I have never understood...

... the whole phenomenon of Friday cat blogging. I know cat lovers love their cats. "Some of my closest friends are cat lovers." [Honest!] And, in fact, I have loved me some cats in my day.

Anyway, I have for some time felt I should put my two cents' worth in. So here, for all the felinophiles, is my entry in Sunday cat blogging. [Well, I didn't have time to do it on Friday.]
Patches on the right is a calico house cat, of course. Markus is the big lion and Leo is the cub trying to get out from under his big brother's paw. Each is a gift linking my memories to wonderful persons and special occasions. In fact, they are all related in different ways to my vocation.

Markus came to me from Marilyn Belove who once said, during those seemingly endless years of the process toward ordination, "God ordained you a priest before the foundation of the world." She helped me get through some thin times, let me tell you. Thank you, Marilyn!

Walter Guettsche, a priest from Texas, gave me Leo as an ordination present, celebrating my having survived the ecclesiastical hoop jumping. Walter, may you rest in peace and rise in glory!

John and Gail King presented me with my first cat, Patches, at a farewell party when I left Saint Cuthbert's, Oakland. Like Molly Sugden as Mrs. Slocombe, I am fond of my pussy. [If you have not watched countless episodes of Are You Being Served, don't ask. And for heaven's sake, let's go beyond that. Don't ask. Don't tell. Don't even go there.] The Kings have blessed me with lovely holiday meals and Christmastide has not seemed the same since I am not near enough for their Boxing Day feasts. Bless you, John and Gail (today and every anniversary).

Among the blessings of vocation, I had the privilege of presiding and preaching at Holy Eucharist this morning for San Gabriel's, the parochial mission of St. Michael and All Angels. I am rarely happier or more fulfilled than doing just that. Boundless thanks and lots of love to all who helped me on the journey (which continues).

--the BB

1 comment:

Lesley Morgan said...

Hi Paul,

I hope you'll see this, since it's in reply to one of your posts from 2007.

I did a web search for Father Walter Guettsche and your blog came up (which it has for me in searches before - hmmmmm...).

Father Walter was instrumental in my life and it gladdens me to see any reference to him at all. Since you have Leo, I guess Father Walter played a role in your life as well.

I don't know why I started doing this web search - feeling my own mortality at the vast age of 53, being nostalgic, who knows? I became an Episcopalian in 1991 because of Father Walter, and I think about him a lot. Anyway - your post and seeing Leo made me happy!

Best wishes,
Lesley Morgan (currently Sr. Blaise at the Convent of St. Helena, and a BuddTaoSufipalian)
blaise_osh@yahoo.com