Saturday, September 15, 2007

The National Hispanic Cultural Center

La Santa Familia from the Permanent Collection
(I did not see the date or artist's name on the website;
if anyone can provide the information I will happily credit.)

I often let photos I have taken inspire postings here. Such is the case this evening, though the first three photos are from the website and not my own.

One of the treasures here in Albuquerque is the National Hispanic Cultural Center at 4th and Avenida César Chávez. I remember visiting there when it was quite new and being ensorceled, even if there was no current exhibit. I got to see items from the permanent collection and stroll around as though I had the whole place to myself.

We won't mention how I got totally turned around and confused north and south that day. The moral of the story, for me, is that when looking at a map the map must be oriented to the land itself, with north pointed north. Do not, under any circumstances put a map on a table in front of me with north pointing south or east or west. If you do, I will have my internal compass out of whack.

That was when I was playing tourist here. Over time I have become oriented to the Sandias in the east and thus can always tell at least that much. When mountains rise abruptly some five thousand feet at the edge of town it's hard to miss them.
Working on the mural in the Torreón
Well, back to the Center. In addition to the museum they also have a center for the performing arts with theatre for performances, rehearsal halls, an auditorium for lectures and presentations, and a film theatre. They have the Spanish Resource Center and the Instituto Cervantes; La Fonda del Bosque Restaurant (pleasant atmosphere and delicious food, I can attest). La Tiendita gift shop has all sorts of goodies and pleasant staff.

I enjoy the permanent collection and the changing exhibits are fascinating and educational. Not so long ago friends and I caught "The African Presence in Mexico," an illuminating exhibit on the neglected "third root" of modern Mexican culture. The next exhibit features Mayan textile art (see below) and opens September 28.
Just wow!
I have been there when the Plaza Mayor was jammed with throngs of people (Children's Day) and when I was practically alone. Always great energy, though very different.
It was a late winter afternoon the first time I visited and the light as I exited caught the Torreón and made it glow against the sky. I am afraid my photo gets some of the drama but not the intensity of colors.
The Plaza Mayor echoes the great pyramids of Meso-America. The aesthetic beauty of it all was stunning though I also had the uneasy feeling that heartless bodies could come tumbling down at any minute. I think the architecture is great.
Isn't this a lovely spot in between the museum and office on the one hand and the performing arts center on the other? The light at that time was magical and I encourage you to click and enlarge this shot. Not bragging on my photos but on what I was privileged to see.
And oh! the cottonwoods in the courtyard--majestic, ¿que no?

How did you guess that I signed up to become a foundation member? Well, I just want to share a local treasure with a larger audience. If you ever come to ABQ, perhaps I can take you there for a visit.

Nos vemos.
--the BB

2 comments:

Jane R said...

Gorgeous, BB, gorgeous. Thank you.

Now -- when do I come visit?

Paul said...

Name the time, Jane, name the time. Guest room is ready on 24 hour notice. (Sheets are clean but I need to iron them--yes, pure cotton.)