Sunday, September 09, 2007

If it's September, it must be the Forest Service

Looking into the crater of Broken Top, (Elev. 9165’),
high in the Three Sisters Wilderness Area.

Photographer: Leland J. Prater
Courtesy of the US Forest Service

Posting was light last week (and may continue to be) since I began work as a consultant at the Albuquerque Service Center of the Forest Service. This is the third year in a row I have begun a temporary consulting job there. Maybe this time around I will be able to land something permanent. I do enjoy the people and the commute is fine. I especially love the physical environment, the architecture and landscaping around the Journal Center here in Albuquerque. The little vignette of the San Francisco Building currently in the top right of this blog is one shot I took of the building where I am working once more.

I like to think of it was working for Smoky. He and I come from the same era and Smoky Bear was a really big icon of my childhood. Not to mention that there is the affinity among fellow bears.*

*We are talking totem animal and psychic identification here, not the furry gay men gathering at the Russian River for Lazy Bear Weekend. I may qualify for the latter but that's not my inner identity.

During my childhood and youth I spend my summers in the Sierra surrounded by the Sequoia National Forest. That experience has shaped me profoundly and has a lot to do with why I consider myself a tree mystic. I don't hug them, but I do bond with them.

Well, since tomorrow is a work day--Work?!!! Thank you, Maynard Krebs--I will stop typing and post. Will try to do better about posting as days go by.
--the BB

No comments: