Monday, November 05, 2007

Enjoying the scenery


Let us suppose you are traveling in a country where you do not speak the language, having a lovely time. You are riding a train and enjoying the scenery. You like to take pictures so you can remember your travels. You take some photos as you ride.
You are taken into custody at the next stop. There is no way to contact the friends who expect you to arrive at the other end.

Not my story, though the photos above were taken as I rode a bus in Russia.

We're talking about America. Or should I spell it Amerika?

[Read the story at Episcopal Cafe by clicking on the link above.]


What is happening to us? What are we allowing to happen?
--the BB

3 comments:

Padre Mickey said...

This story is so sad and so stupid.
A few years ago the Lovely Mona and I were in Boston for the graduation of our daughter from Emerson College. We decided to do the tourist thang with Mona's folks and went to see Old Ironsides. The brochure we had read stated that tours of Old Ironside closed at 5:00pm. We arrived at 3:00 pm and were told that tours were closed for the day. I asked someone in charge about the discrepancy in the tourist brochure and was told that "we have to close early because we don't have enough soldiers to guard it, and because of 9/11. Having been out of the country for a while, I asked what the possible connection to 9/11 could be. The person just stared at me. I asked if they thought that perhaps some Algerian holding a grudge from the 19th century was going to come and blow up his old boat and the Lovely Mona told me it was time to leave.

As the late Bishop Hayes of Panama asked me just after the 2004 election, "What the hell is wrong with the people in your country?" I told him, "I have know idea; I've been away for too long!"

What the hell IS wrong with the people in authority in the U.S.? 'cuz I can't believe that the average estadoünidense agrees with this stuff.

Paul said...

Padre, BTFOM.
[Beats the F outta me.]

As they say on the internets: the stupidity, it burns!

June Butler said...

And they wonder why tourism numbers in the US are down, even though the exchange rate for foreign currencies is favorable. People from other countries are afraid to come here. I don't blame them.

Padre Mickey, when you said "blow up his old boat", you're lucky YOU were not taken into custody.