Wednesday, January 30, 2008

And Denmark makes forty-three

Greetings to today's visitor from Denmark; nice to have you here.

You may have been lured here by googling Prince Fredrik or perhaps some more interesting path, but I am just glad you visited.

In the central part of California, not far from the coast, lies the town of Solvang. It is a tourist spot that draws folks in by giving the feel of a Danish town. Realistic? Probably not but we all love our fairytale ideals of "old world" locales. My father's home town, Kingsburg, located south of Fresno, tried to mimic this by touting its Swedish roots. Just try to turn an annual Watermelon Festival into something Swedish! (Well, they do, with mixed success. The point is, as ever, to have an excuse to party, and that always works.)

There was a time when most of the shopkeepers in Kingsburg were second-generation Swedish Americans but the last time I tried to by Christmas limpa in the local bakery there the young woman had no clue what I meant.

Today, however, is not the season of watermelon festivals. In fact, I just glanced out the window and I see snowflakes drifting very erratically to the ground. I hope driving to Corrales this afternoon (and returning again) does not get too exciting. I love snow. I hate icy roads.
--the BB

2 comments:

Aghaveagh said...

I've been to both these towns. They remind me of a similar "village composé" in my home state of Washington--Leavenworth. I know some may consider them cheesy or schmaltzy, but I love the idea.

Paul said...

I find it all silly and schmaltzy and ... fun. I love the term "village composé"--captures it quite well.

My dad was born in Kingsburg and many of my relatives are buried there, so it has a very dear spot in my heart. I remember when it had no Swedish trappings but was, nonetheless, very Swedish-American.

The Kingsburg HS Vikings had a yell, back in the 1920s that I won't try to type, since I am woefully ignorant of Swedish orthography. It translates into English as: "hardtack and rye; say what you will; who's the best? we're the best! Yes!"

You betcha.