Thursday, January 31, 2008

La República Bolivariana de Venezuela


Today we had a guest from Venezuela, land of the cuatro, a stringed instrument related to the lute and guitar though somewhat smaller than a guitar. Of course, there is much more to Venezuela than this, but it springs to my mind because of Jackeline Rago, a talented Venezuelan musician, who has taught music through the La Peña Cultural Center in Berkeley, California, and is now working through the Jazz School in Berkeley.

When a group of talented amateur musicians working with Jacki wanted a space for a master class by a Venezuelan percussionist, they contacted St Cuddy's, Oakland. I don't think I could say "Yes!" enthusiastically enough. What an evening that was, with me hanging around in the offices and pacing energetically with the rhythms of the music. The group performed at St Cuthbert's a couple of times thereafter and brought incredibly joy to us all. I coined the name for the group: Ritmozolano.


On Jackeline's website one reads the words of Jennifer Dunning of the New York Times: "...and Jackeline Rago nearly steals the show with a maraca solo whose hushed beat magically fills the theater..." I have heard her do a maraca solo in the church and it knocked my socks off. If you ever get the chance....

To get a bit of the sound of Venezuela, check out the website of the Venezuelan Music Project. (My hips are bouncing in the chair as I type right now.)

So, with that, I want to bid welcome to whoever dropped in today from Venezuela. Regrese y visite con nosotros.
--the BB

No comments: