Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Belated prayer blogging

With the holiday whirl I have been losing track of the days (and what's my excuse the rest of the time?), so I failed to do Tuesday prayer blogging yesterday. Mes apologies!

As my act of reparation I took a little tour in Massey Shepherd's A Companion of Prayer for Daily Living. I came across a prayer by Abp. William Laud. It seems well suited for the present day. The language is mostly familiar, though the version in the BCP is slightly altered.

William Laud (feast day January 10) [from Wikipedia]

Gracious Father, I humbly beseech thee for thy holy Catholic Church: Fill it with all truth, in all truth with all peace. Where it is corrupt, purge it; where it is in error, direct it; where it is superstitious, rectify it; where anything is amiss, reform it; where it is right, strengthen and confirm it; where it is in want, furnish it; where it is divided and rent asunder, make up the breaches of it, O thou Holy One of Israel. Amen.

--the BB

2 comments:

Fran said...

You really have no idea how much I needed to read this. And I think it is no small coincidence that after i wrote a hand wringing interim post I came here first.

Grace- simply no accounting for it, is there?

Paul said...

The Holy Spirit guides me to surprises when I have no idea what I am doing.

Blessings, Fran!